A 26-year old unemployed man was sentenced to 2 weeks’ imprisonment for an offence of giving false information to a public officer – he had lied to the Police by saying that he and his sister had an incestuous sexual encounter when he was a teenager.
Here are some brief, available facts on the case:
- He pleaded guilty to 1 charge. 2 other charges for similar offences were taken into consideration for the purpose of sentencing.
- In a Police report and interviews by the Police, he falsely claimed that he had incest with his sister. He did this because he was unhappy with his sister who “had been trying to cause trouble at home” and he wanted to get his older sister in trouble with the law.
- As a result of his false allegation, his sister, a 28-year-old nurse, was investigated for incest and interviewed four times at Ang Mo Kio Police Division.
- He admitted to the Police that he had been lying about the incest 7 months after he had first given the false information.
- In mitigation, the man’s criminal defence lawyer said that the man suffered from mild intellectual disability and also asked the Court to impose 1 week’s imprisonment.
More information on the case may be found here.