A 21-year old female cleaner, Norashikin Abdullah, was sentenced to 3 weeks’ imprisonment after pleading guilty to an offence involving the misappropriation of $7,000 she had found.
Here are some brief, available facts on the case:
- She pleaded guilty.
- The cash was found in a piggy bank in a Woodlands flat she was cleaning. She opened the piggy bank and took out the bank notes inside.
- She did this while the victim, Ms Rebecca Lee Li Zhen, 23, was asleep in the flat.
- Norashikin used $2,000 on shopping.
- No restitution was made.
- Police seized $2,818 and items bought with the stolen money.
- In mitigation, Norashikin’s criminal defence lawyer asked the Court to place Norashikin on probation. The Court was informed that Norashikin has learnt a painful lesson and should be given a second chance because she can be rehabilitated.
- The Prosecution asked the Court to impose a sentence of at least 4 weeks’ imprisonment on the basis that Norashikin was a recalcitrant offender and had previously been placed on the guidance programme before for a theft offence.
More information on the case may be found here.
Leave a Reply